Not bound by regions, Runeterrans walk their own paths, forging their destinies through pure volition. These regionless champions don’t belong to mighty Demacia, the fearsome Shadow Isles, or anywhere in between. Instead, each has their own Origin. When building a deck, an Origin takes up one of the two region slots and follows a set of unique deckbuilding rules. A deck can be built with any one of the following:
- 2 Origins and no regions
- 1 Origin and 1 region
- No Origins and 2 regions
Each Runeterran's Origin contains the deckbuilding rules for that champion. An Origin's deckbuilding rule can be just about anything – it can be built around a specific mechanic like Bard's Wandering Caretaker Origin, which allows you to put cards that plant Chimes into your deck, or something more broad like Jhin's Origin, The Virtuoso.
The Virtuoso allows you to add any follower to your deck as long as they have a Skill. That's right, any follower from any region, as long as they have a Skill. This means all 3 of the below can be placed in a deck with Jhin as their champion:
A Skill is an ability that the unit casts similarly to a spell when played, creating those little circles in the center of the board. You can filter your card collection in-game to show only cards with Skills by searching for “Skill” in the deckbuilder.
The Petricite Hound, however would not fit in a Jhin deck.
While it may be Formidable, which is a keyword, it does not have a skill.
Adding a champion like Braum from the Freljord or Kindred from the Shadow Isles will allow you to add cards from their regions to your deck just as they do now, regardless if they have a Skill or not.
Here are some things to keep in mind when building decks using Runeterrans:
- Runeterrans are regionless champions.
- Since Runeterrans are regionless, they don’t count as coming from one of the 10 regions. This means the Bandle Tree won’t create them in your hand, and they won't count towards winning the game.
- Origins are the rules Runeterrans follow. They take up one of the two region slots in your deck.
Since Origins take up the slot of a region, cards like Insight of Ages may create cards that fit its deckbuilding rules.
- For example, if you're running a Noxus/Origin deck, the Insight of Ages may create a Spell that fits a deck’s Origin, but doesn’t come from Noxus.
Runeterran champions are resolute forces with distinct goals and abilities. Learn more about them below.
Jhin: The Virtuoso
All the world's a stage for his opera of death.
- Jhin's Origin: The Virtuoso - You may put any follower that has a Skill into your deck during deckbuilding.
- Jhin levels up once you've played 12+ Fast spells, or Skills.
Bard: The Wandering Caretaker
The chimes of his footsteps echo beyond Runeterra.
- Bard's Origin: The Wandering Caretaker - You may put any cards that plant Chimes into your deck during deckbuilding.
- Bard levels up once you've increased the total stats of allies in play or hand by 20+.
Evelynn: Agony's Embrace
No, really... the pleasure's all hers.
- Evelynn levels up when she or an ally kills an ally's Husk.
Kayn: The Shadow Reaper
He knows something his enemies don’t. Their inevitable doom.
- Kayn levels up when he's struck twice. When he levels up, Recall him and play him as either Rhaast or The Shadow Assassin.
Jax: Grandmaster at Arms
Always ready for battle.
- Jax levels up when Equipped allies have struck for 15+ damage.
New friends and foes await as you walk the world of Runeterra. What alliances will you build as you traverse the regions?
Explore the Regions of Runeterra
- The champions of Demacia will show you the meaning of justice.
- Join the champions of Ionia, and discover the power within.
- Intrepid explorers may find a worthy challenge in the Freljord's champions.
- The champions of Noxus will do whatever it takes to win. Are you willing to do the same?
- Don't turn your back on Bilgewater's champions, or you'll find yourself washed away with the tide.
- The champions of Piltover and Zaun have learned to harness the unbridled technologies of their dual city-states. What innovations will you discover?
- Don't loiter among the champions of the Shadow Isles, or you may never leave.
- When the land's secrets lay revealed, look to the stars and commune with the Champions of Targon.
- Shuffle through the sands of long-buried empires to pay your respects to the champions of Shurima.
- What lies beyond the Bandlewood? Perhaps the champions of Bandle City will share their secrets.